Downstream change to water quality
Ever wondered how water quality changes down the length of the Waikato River, from its source at Lake Taupo to its mouth at Port Waikato?
Check out the pictographs showing downriver changes in:
- turbidity (the murkiness of the water)
- Escherichia coli (E.coli) bacteria (an indicator of human health risk)
- nitrogen (a nutrient that encourages the growth of nuisance plants and algae)
- arsenic (a heavy metal present in the river from geothermal fluids)
- ecological health (seven key water quality variables which indicate suitability to support aquatic life)
- phosphorus (a nutrient that encourages the growth of nuisance plants and algae).
For a more detailed explanation of these terms check out the glossary.