Page content Page content Section navigation Topic navigation Accessibility keys Sitemap Search Contact us portal
Go to Waikato Regional Council homepage
search icon mail icon contact us icon

  Services » Regional Services » Consents and compliance » Resource consents » Before you apply » What activities need a resource consent?

What activities need a resource consent?

Photo of a drilling activity.On this page: Land use consents, water consents, discharge consents, coastal consents.

Land use consents

Different land uses can affect water quality, land stability and the incidence of flooding. Land use consents control and minimise the impacts of such activities on people and the environment.

You may need a land use consent if you want to:

Water consents

Damming, diverting and taking water can affect people's ability to use the water, as well as affecting stream plant and animal life. Water consents identify, control and minimise the impacts of an activity on people and the environment.

You may need a water consent if you want to:

Click here(external link) if you would like some more information on taking water for use in your farm dairy

Discharge consents

Discharge consents cover activities which discharge contaminants:

  • into water
  • into or onto land
  • to air.

You may need a discharge consent if your activity is likely to:

Coastal consents

Coastal consents help protect the resources in the Waikato region's coastal marine area (CMA). This is a defined area of foreshore(external link), seabed(external link), coastal water(external link), and air space above the sea. Spring high tide lines (‘mean high water springs(external link)’) extend the CMA further inland if the line crosses a river.  It may pay to seek advice as to the exact location of the CMA if you are seeking consent in that vicinity.

You may need a coastal consentfor an activity in the CMA if you want to:

  • remove vegetation
  • remove or introduce a plant species
  • take or use water
  • discharge potentially contaminated water or water containing sediment
  • discharge treated or untreated wastes
  • dam or divert water
  • remove or deposit sand, shell, shingle or other natural materials
  • erect, place, use or occupy space for a structure
  • construct or alter a jetty or a marina
  • build erosion protection walls
  • operate a marine farm
  • use a vehicle
  • dredge
  • carry out drainage works
  • carry out a reclamation
  • carry out a declamation

Activities that do not require resource consents (permitted activities)

You do not need a resource consent if your activity is expressly allowed under the Resource Management Act (RMA)(external link).

Waikato Regional Council's Regional Plan(external link) and Regional Coastal Plan(external link) also have a range of ‘permitted activity’ rules. These rules allow specific activities to be undertaken as of right.  They are subject to compliance with conditions just as resource consents are.  If these conditions cannot be met, then you will need a resource consent.

Find out more about these permitted activities(external link).

More information

Contact us(external link) for further advice on activities that require a consent. If you have any questions you can phone consents staff during office hours on our Resource Use Freephone 0800 800 402.

About this site     Contact us     Feedback and complaints